Roasted Banana + Chocolate Loaves
Question: what do you eat instead of breakfast breads on grain-free diet? Um….this! Roasting the bananas before making the bread caramelizes the natural sugars and adds loads of flavor. I used chocolate chunks, but you can easily swap raw cacao nibs. You can also use a regular 9×5 loaf pan instead of the mini versions; if so, increase the cooking time by 8 to 10 minutes.
Makes 4 mini loaves
3 medium, very ripe bananas
1/4 cup golden flax seeds, ground
1/4 cup almond milk
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lightly grease 4 mini loaf pans with coconut oil. Set aside.
- Peel bananas and arrange on a baking dish. Roast for 20 minutes, until browned. Remove from oven and turn temperature down to 350F.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine flax, almond milk and eggs. Mix well, until smooth. Let stand for 5 minutes, until mixture begins to thicken. Beat in bananas by hand until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well. Stir wet ingredients into flour mixture. If mixture is very dry, add additional almond milk, 1 tablespoon at a time. Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Transfer batter into greased loaf pans. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of each loaf comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans, slice and serve.