Cherry + Macadamia Grain-Free Muffins
Best breakfast ever: high-protein muffins that make great use of macadamias, almonds and chia seeds. We used tart, unsweetened cherries for ours, or use fruit-sweetened varieties. Add chopped pistachios for texture and a burst of vibrant color.
Makes 12 muffins
1 1/4 cups almond flour
1/4 cup ground chia seeds
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1/4 cup milk, coconut milk or almond milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with coconut oil, or line with paper muffin liners or squares of parchment.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine almond flour, chia seeds, coconut sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to mix.
3. Crack eggs into a separate bowl. Using a hand mixer, or in a standing mixer, beat eggs until they’re light and frothy, about 2 minutes. Turn speed to low and beat in milk and vanilla. Using a spatula, fold dry ingredients into the mixture. Fold in cherries and nuts.
4. Spoon mixture into prepared muffin tins, filling each about halfway full. Bake at 375 for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Remove from oven and let cool completely; if you’re using paper liners, muffins can be turned out of pan while slightly warm. Serve immediately.