Few fruits match the fresh, sweet appeal of melons. They’re moistening and cooling, to beat summer heat. And at their peak, they’re as satisfying as any dessert, with loads of vitamins, zero fat, and fewer than 65 calories a cup. How cool is that?
Makes 1 quart
4 limes, juiced
1/2 cup evaporated cane juice
One 5-pound seedless watermelon
Zest from one lime
1/2 cup packed fresh mint leaves (no stems)
Lime wedges and whole mint leaves for garnish
1. In a small pot, combine lime juice and sugar; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring almost constantly, until sugar is completely dissolved and mixture is slightly reduced. Set aside to cool.
2. Cut watermelon into quarters and scoop flesh into a food processor; discard rind. Add cooled lime syrup and lime zest, and process until smooth. Add mint and pulse until mint is ground into tiny pieces, but bits of mint are still visible.
3. Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker, and process according to manufacturer’s directions.
4. To serve, divide sorbet between serving bowls. Garnish with lime wedges and mint leaves, and serve immediately.
Makes 1 quart
2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice (5 to 7 oranges)
2 cups plain organic Greek yogurt
1/2 cup honey, or to taste
1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender, and puree until smooth. Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and process according to directions.
2. To serve, divide between individual bowls and garnish with orange zest and mint leaves. Serve immediately.
Makes four 2 1/2 to 3-ounce popsicles
1 medium to large avocado, pitted and peeled
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup raw agave, plus 1 to 2 tablespoons, if needed
3 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or regular cocoa powder)
1. Halve avocado, remove pit, and scoop flesh into a food processor. Discard skin and pit. Add coconut milk, 1/4 cup of the agave, and cacao powder, and puree until smooth. Taste and add additional agave if needed. Transfer mixture to a popsicle tray and insert sticks. Freeze for 4 hours or overnight.
2. Remove from freezer 1 or 2 minutes before serving. Unmold carefully (dip outside of molds in a bowl of hot water for a few seconds to make unmolding easier), and serve.