Lightly caramelizing pears intensifies their natural sweetness and pairs beautifully with pungent bitter greens. For a lighter salad, use fresh pears, not caramelized, for equally delicious results.
Serves 4 to 6
1 to 2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 small pear, sliced and seeded
1 tablespoon unrefined cane sugar
2 tablespoons minced shallots
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium pomegranate
1 small head radicchio, torn into bite-sized pieces
6 cups baby arugula leaves or coarsely chopped arugula
1 large fennel bulb, thinly shaved crosswise
1 small red onion, sliced into thin half moons
Crumbled blue cheese (optional)
- Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; add pears and sprinkle with sugar, and cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring very gently, until pears are tender and lightly caramelized. Transfer to a plate.
- Add shallots to pan and cook for 2 minutes longer. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for 1 minute, scraping up bits from bottom of pan. Transfer to a small bowl, whisk in rosemary and olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.
- To seed pomegranate: halve pomegranate crosswise and hold over a large bowl, cut side down. Using a heavy rolling pin, whack the back (skin side) of the fruit, until seeds fall from the fruit and into the bowl. Repeat with remaining half.
- Combine radicchio, arugula, fennel, onion and all but 4 tablespoons of the pomegranate seeds in a large bowl. Add just enough dressing to lightly coat ingredients, and toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, divide between four individual plates; scatter additional pomegranate seeds on top, and serve immediately.
Image credit: vanillaechoes / 123RF Stock Photo