A well-designed, mindful cleanse can help you detoxify your liver, colon and kidneys; clear your skin; alleviate candida; increase your overall energy levels; and lead to lasting weight loss.
But some detox programs involve fasting or food deprivation combined with complicated mixes, powders and supplements.
Others include powerful herbs and drink mixes to promote a laxative effect and boost rapid–though temporary–weight loss. At the end of it you may be cleansed and revitalized; or you may be weakened and drained.
Here are the main reasons detox programs don’t work:
1. They don’t look at food sensitivities. Most detox programs assume everyone is sensitive to the same foods (dairy, gluten, corn, and other common allergens). That kind of approach assumes every body is the same, which is simply not true. I’ve seen lots of people who are sensitive to avocado, lettuce, coconut, and other healthy foods that are emphasized on cleanses. A good food sensitivity test (click here to order one) can pinpoint your specific triggers, and eliminate bloating, headaches and skin problems in as little as 10 days. Really.
2. They involve fasting of some kind. The fact is, fasting is one of the most stressful things you can do to your body. There are exceptions, of course; but if you’re living your usual, fast-paced life without eating, you’re going to create stress, inflammation, and a generally unhappy situation.
3. They don’t ask you to slow down. If you’re following a cleanse while moving through your life at breakneck speed, you won’t create lasting change. Traditional detox programs included lots of rest and meditation, and help you release stress and toxins at a deeper level. The ancients knew what they were doing: modern studies show that meditation lowers stress and decreases inflammation.
4. They don’t use real food. Lots of detox programs give you a box of powders, drinks, mixes, supplements, wafers and/or candies. You’ll skip food for a day or two, e
at or drink the things in the box, and probably lose weight. But what happens when you need to eat again? And what’s more worrisome is that many of those powders and mixes contain large quantities of engineered ingredients that adversely impact hormones and metabolism.
5. They ignore the emotional aspect of eating. Your mind may decide you need a cleanse. But how does your body feel about that? And why exactly are you detoxing? Is it so you can feel lighter, energized, more connected to your body and your life, or is it because your husband thinks you look better in those tight jeans?
The bottom line: detox that doesn’t address food sensitivities, lifestyle practices or (most important), explorations of emotional eating won’t create lasting change.
Our approach is to support, nourish and rebuild your body, with a comprehensive approach that eliminates toxins and food sensitivities, emphasizes low-glycemic, nutrient-rich foods that work for you, nourishes the liver and relaxes the mind. With our Daily Detox approach, you’ll learn how to take cleansing into a gentle, daily practice that you can do at home–with no fasting.
You’ll learn the basics during an individual consultation. We also offer on-site classes and workshops, for individuals, groups and corporations; it’s a great way to get support during your cleanse, and have extra time for questions and discussion. Contact us, and we’ll get you started.